Last week Student Council was tackling the problem of inappropriate words written on the PE white boards on the field and heard around ES. We came up with a list of solutions to help students deal with these types of situations.
- move the white boards into the Preschool area during recess
- remove the markers
- cover the boards
- put up a CCTV or even a fake camera!
- have a discussion with your parents about language that is allowed at home vs. at school
- ignore the person
- walk away
- give reminders to the person to use appropriate language
- focus on positive language (“Please use appropriate language” vs. “You’re not allowed to say that.” “Please don’t say that word” is also nice.)
- ask the person to stop
- involve an adult
- try not to make a big deal out of it; instead give a gentle reminder then move on
- explain that the language used makes you feel uncomfortable
- ask teachers to be listening in and monitoring language
- make a poster to display reminding people to use appropriate language
Can you think of anything else to add to our list?